Wednesday, January 27, 2010

PN: Owning Your Gear


A few months ago I got into a debate with my roommate about my gear. I had recently found a wonderful little Eddie Bauer 7x8' 3 man dome tent (pictured on right, review comming soon) for $20 (family selling it had recently given birth and needed a larger tent. Tent was in perfect condition) and my roommate's tent broke down on our annual road and camping trip to and in Colorado. When his broke he slept in mine and I offered to sleep in the car to escape his snores. He "reimbursed" me after we got back because he used it more than me. Recently he has started referring to it as "our tent". For some irrational reason this bothered me. I asked him about it and he said he helped pay for it, so it was partly his tent. I know this should have een the end of this, but I took pride in the knowlege that all my gear was "mine". We argued for a while and in the end it settled at he can use it but I have priority, and can refer to it as "my tent" in public without being contradicted. From this I learned not only how territorial I can be, but that there is something to be said for being able to say that you are the sole owner of all of your gear and that it is yours and yours alone. This is a rather irrevelant post, but I thought it needed to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment